RECIPE WEDNESDAY: Low-GI and Lactose-free Ginger Pear Bran Muffins
Moisture-rich, filling, super tasty, and I feel
healthy good eating it!
- 2 c. wheat bran
- 1 c. oat bran
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 “flax seed eggs” (2 tbsp. ground flax meal with 6 tbsp. almond milk or other liquid, let sit until thick)
- 2/3 c. soy yogurt (or other lactose-free alternative)
- 1/3 c. neutral oil (i.e. canola, sunflower, safflower, etc.)
- 1/3 c. agave syrup
- 1 tsp. natural vanilla extract
- 2 c. peeled and mashed over-ripe pears (+/- 3 pears) or 2-15 oz. cans of pears, drained and mashed plus 1/3 c. pear syrup
- 1/2 c. finely chopped candied ginger
Grab a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and set aside. Combine wet ingredients in a separate, smaller bowl. Keep the pears and ginger aside until the next step.
Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Gently stir in pears and ginger.
Grease or line a 12-tin muffin pan and pour batter into the cups. This recipe should make 12 large muffins. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Let the muffins cool in rack for 10-15 minutes. Store for up to 3 days, or freeze. Enjoy!
Based on this recipe, with my own twist.